Analysis | Arguments and Rebuttals | Text of Proposed Laws
OFFICIAL TITLE AND SUMMARY
Prepared by the Attorney General
Non-Tribal Commercial Gambling Expansion.
Tribal Gaming Compact Amendments. Revenues, Tax Exemptions.
Initiative Constitutional Amendment and Statute.
- Authorizes Governor to negotiate tribal compact amendments requiring that Indian tribes pay 25% of slot machine/gaming device revenues to government fund, comply with multiple state laws, and accept state court jurisdiction.
- If compacted tribes don't unanimously accept required amendments within 90 days, or if determined unlawful, authorizes sixteen specified non-tribal racetracks and gambling establishments to operate 30,000 slot machines/gaming devices, paying 33% of net revenues to fund government public safety, regulatory, social programs.
- Provides exemption from specified state/local tax increases.
Summary of Legislative Analyst's Estimate of Net State and Local Government Fiscal Impact:
- Increased gambling revenues—potentially over $1 billion annually. The revenues would be provided primarily to local governments throughout the state for additional child protective, police, and firefighting services.
- Depending on outcome of tribal negotiations, potential loss of state revenues totaling hundreds of millions of dollars annually.