Analysis | Arguments and Rebuttals | Text of Proposed Laws
OFFICIAL TITLE AND SUMMARY
Prepared by the Attorney General
Initiative Constitutional Amendment and Statute.
- Requires primary elections where all voters may vote for any state or federal candidate regardless of how a voter or candidate is registered.
- Exempts presidential nominations and elections of party central committees.
- Only the two primary-election candidates receiving most votes for an office, whether they are candidates with "no party" or members of same or different party, would be listed on general election ballot.
- In special primary election, candidate receiving majority vote is elected.
- Requires political party's consent for identification of candidates' party registration on ballot and in other official election publications.
Summary of Legislative Analyst's Estimate of Net State and Local Government Fiscal Impact:
- No significant net fiscal effect on state and local governments.