Analysis | Arguments and Rebuttals | Text of Proposed Laws
OFFICIAL TITLE AND SUMMARY
Prepared by the Attorney General
Public Records, Open Meetings.
Measure amends Constitution to:
Legislative Constitutional Amendment.
- Provide right of public access to meetings of government bodies and writings of government officials.
- Provide that statutes and rules furthering public access shall be broadly construed, or narrowly construed if limiting access.
- Require future statutes and rules limiting access to contain findings justifying necessity of those limitations.
- Preserve constitutional rights including rights of privacy, due process, equal protection; expressly preserves existing constitutional and statutory limitations restricting access to certain meetings and records of government bodies and officials, including law enforcement and prosecution records.
Exempts Legislature's records and meetings.
Summary of Legislative Analyst's Estimate of Net State and Local Government
- Potential minor annual state and local government costs to make additional
information available to the public.
Final Votes Cast by the Legislature on SCA 1 (Proposition 59)